Thursday, February 2, 2012

Update for Thursday, February 2, 2012

 
"I guess I'm just an old mad scientist at bottom. Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care not who writes the nation's laws." -- S.J. Perelman

I actually do care who runs things.  I'm just so pleased that I get to do an update post on the day for which it's actually planned that I feel a touch giddy.  And mad-scientist like.  Along with The Update on matters in the springpunk world of Turning Springs, in The Helper, I have a link to a little steampunk blog advice (well, not advice for a steampunk blog, but...you'll see) and in The Wind-Up, Why the NY Public Library believes less books is more...something.

The Update

I actually had a little time yesterday to work on the new Chapter Seven in the long project MGC.  It involves developing several minor characters both for Seven and later chapters.  I'm looking forward to the challenge for Sunday.  I get the feeling from this, as I've felt in other works, that I'm building tools that will be useful for other purposes later on.  Very positive.  Very encouraging.  If I can finish up Seven, I get to move on to Eight and the two characters I'm most familiar with.  I also finished the 1st Revision on the short project OSV, and on schedule, no less.  I'm pleased with the work so far, and very pleased that I'm keeping to the schedule.  The 2nd Revision starts Wednesday.  Looking forward to it all.

The Helper

A successful blog inevitably ends up being not just this, but this with that and a little of that whatsis over there and some of that other doohickey.  There's no better example for opening your mind to new and different combinations of factors, themes and subjects than steampunk.  Throw on your goggles and your scarf and get aboard the airship here.


The Wind-Up

You know the saddest thing about this op-ed story from the New York Post?  It's not a joke.  The New York Public Library wants to believe (and they want us to believe it too) that fewer books make a better library.  3 million fewer to be exact.  Read it and weep here.

It's only 13 days until I make the decision about putting Knews Not News to the sword or not.  The sidebar has a link.  Let me know what you think!

That's all for this week.  Drop me a line...I'm happy to help if I can, with writing or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment