Thursday, February 23, 2012

Update for Thursday, February 23, 2012

 
“A classic is a book that doesn’t have to be written again.” – W.E.B. DuBois

But writing again is what we so often do in this business, whether it is a classic or not.  And there must be an end to it, which I cover in The Update.  For those of you who find a certain amount of trepidation is helpful in your writing process, The Helper is for you.  Finally, if you did it wrong, well, there is no one to apologize to but yourself.  And, as covered in The Wind-up, whoever is making political hay by demanding your apology.

The Update

I finished up the revisions to the short work and have sent them off to my best friend and editor, someone I’ll call for now El Editoreador (he pokes my bull with sharp comments until it gives up and goes away).  Very pleased with what he found and with the changes I made in response to his remarks.  And after this set, I'm done, and it's off to the Library of Congress.  I'm sure it won't be perfect, but I'll have gotten as close as I can, which is fine by me. 

Nothing done on MGC this week (or anything else), but that will change next week.  I'm coming to the conclusion that my goals for that project are well short of reality.  I was hoping to have the first 25 chapters (relax, they're short) blocked by March 31, and I might get there yet, but it's looking less and less likely.  I'm on Chapter 8 now.  I haven't given up on the goals yet, though.  I'll keep working the schedule I've got, not rushing through anything (proper prior planning prevents...well, you know the rest), and see where I am at the end of March.  I've got a task set for the third week of March to input the second quarter intermediate goals, which will be a great time to assess my progress.  And my reality.  Yay.  I think.

The Helper

Impressed by my calm in the face of impending deadlines and below-goal performance?  You should be. I may be alone in my security.  Check out some of the comments from this panel of Writers' Guild of America Awards nominees, talking about their work.  Hint:  there seems to be a lot more terror involved than I'm used to.  Hmm.  Maybe I should be more worried.


The Wind-Up

Ever feel like half of the news is one big unrealistic, advantage-seeking demand for an apology from the other half of the news?  You don't?  Well, I'm sorry.  No, I'm not.  And neither is Dana Milbank from last Sunday's Washington Post.  Caution:  read the fifth paragraph with food.  If you say I didn't warn you, I'll just demand an apology for your demand for an apology.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  Or isn't.

Thanks for checking in and for reading.  Until next week.

1 comment:

  1. Terror? Naw, it's all good...at least till the "beast" finds you (just finished Lord of the Flies so no idea where that thought came from).

    Keep pressing on my friend, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete